Tuesday, August 2, 2016

A Moment...

Wednesdays are for taking a moment during the week and counting blessings, telling funny stories, and anticipating the approaching weekend. I'd love for you to share your Wednesday moment in the comments or attach a link to your blog.


This Wednesday, take a moment from your busy week and remember a funny memory from when you were almost an adult.

When I was a teen, I spent the night at my best friend's house. For some reason, unremembered by me, that night she slept on the left instead of the right where she was normally.

She lived in an old farmhouse with wallpaper that was busy and practically Victorian, and I loved it. I also remember they didn't have an indoor shower, only a tub, and she had hair that was super long. It must have been a pain to wash it that way. 

I've had dreams as an adult about her and her family, and in them the time period is clearly the 19th century. I loved shelling beans in the shade, cradling baby bunnies who promptly peed on me, and playing cards with her extended family. 

She had what I considered to be a big bed. Maybe we were in a guest room? Either way, I slept on the right and she slept on the left. I'm wondering now if this was the night before her wedding. I can't remember. She married right out of high school, and I was a terrible Maid-of-Honor. I didn't really understand what was required.

She had one of those alarm clocks you see in cartoons with the metal bells on the top. It was as loud as the cartoons show, too. You know the ones where it leaps into the air and shakes so hard the characters can't hold it? She put it on the left bedside table. I was anxious about it. It was shatteringly loud, and I don't like loud noises. 

The next morning, I lunged left to shut it off. She lunged right because that's where it was normally kept, and we cracked skulls. Just like a cartoon.

I'd love to hear your memory if you're willing to share it in the comments.


2 comments:

  1. I can't remember how old I was, but I had a dream where I was given a white paper bag of angel lace cookies. Those are the cookies that look and of like a thinly sliced honeycomb dipped in chocolate. Well, in the dream I was on an airplane and was told the empty paper bags were for nauseous people. The bags with what looked like cookies were actually for flatulence. The "cookies" were odor absorbers. I thought that was so funny in my dream that I started laughing and woke myself up because I was actually laughing. Laughing while asleep is also not a great feeling in your ribs. I thought I pulled a muscle.

    ReplyDelete