Monday, April 25, 2016

Twelve Tips about Prescriptions

1. Set alarms and/or use day-of-the-week boxes so that you don’t miss doses or double them.

2. Write on your calendar when to call for refills. Poor planning on your part is not an emergency on theirs.

3. Don’t assume what you take is “good enough”. Be aware of research and new drugs for your condition and explore those options.

4. Know the side effects and discuss the risks:benefits with your support team. Ultimately, it’s your body and you get to decide what is an acceptable risk.



5. More than three medications is when it gets hard to know synergistic effects. You might have no choice, but be assertive and aware if your doctors try to keep piling on more prescriptions.

6. Carry extra pills with you in case you are unexpectedly detained or delayed.

7. If you are on a medication that is unsafe to quit cold-turkey, squirrel at least three days worth away so that you have a safety net of time to negotiate with insurance, doctor, or pharmacy. I’ve seen this happen A LOT more than you’d think, and patients suffer because of it.

8. Know the names of your medicines and why you take them. If you can’t remember, carry a list in your wallet.

9. When trying a new medicine, only get two weeks worth filled. If it doesn’t work out, you don’t waste money and medicine.


10. If you have a clinic in your area that accepts medication donations, consider donating unused pills to them.

11. You can recycle your used medication bottles here. (Just remove the labels first and give ‘em a wash.)

12. Often, animal shelters and vets will take used bottles. You can also use them to make portable condiments (like salt!) or store beads/nails/seeds/etc. Pinterest has craft uses for them, including mini survival or first aid kits.

Do you have any tips or tricks to share?



2 comments:

  1. This all sounds like great advice! I HAVE to begin doing number 1. I just started setting my alarm last week, but I'm still delaying when taking anything and then completely forget if I had or not. One double dose scare last week, which prompted the alarm lol Soooooo I need one of those daily box setups I think.

    I have this issue with trusting doctors in general, because while some seem to have your best interest in mind, I can't help but think I notice trends in pushing whatever meds big pharma wants. I honestly feel a lot of times it's still about money over people. BUT I may be a bit of a conspiracy nut! That and I rarely take any meds ever if I can help it. I don't even take anything for a headaches and such.

    #7 is terrible

    Uh, what exactly gets done with recycled pills?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That's why I need the alarm AND the timer tops. I can't be trusted.
      I hear you on the too many medications thing. It's hard to find a balance. I take three drugs now that I physically must have. There are others I was on, but I found the side effects all outweighed the benefits in the long run...and I'm in it for the long run.
      Yes, #7 is the pits.
      The clinics will give them out to the uninsured who need them.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.