Sunday, April 10, 2016

Sunday Reading Post: Week 2

I'm participating in guiltless reading's Read The Nobels challenge. I've chosen The Wonderful Adventures of Nils by Selma Lagerlof.

This week's questions required me to do a bit of digging into my own reading history. It turns out that I haven't read as much literature by other Nobel authors as I'd thought. Here's who I have read:




  • Alice Munro - Too Much Happiness - I read this one in 2014 and have absolutely no memory of it. I even went back and read the review I wrote. Nada. So, I liked it at the time, but ultimately, it wasn't memorable.






  • Gunter Grass - The Tin Drum - I couldn't get through this one. I read about four chapters and gave up on it.





  • William Golding - The Lord of the Flies - I read this in high school, and then taught it to my home-schooled son. It's brilliant, and I completely understand why this book is taught in schools. It definitely shows kids the many layers hidden in the written word.





  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude - I didn't like this one that much, but I find that it has lodged in my brain. I often catch myself thinking about scenes from the book. I'll probably end up re-reading it in a few years to see if I like it better the second time.





  • Saul Bellow - Henderson the Rain King - I adored the writing in this book. I rated it 4/5 stars at the time, and I have quotes from it in my Writing Grimoire. The writing was excellent and memorable. Just blogging this makes me want to read more of his work.


  • That's it! How shameful. I did have several books by other laureates on my To-Read List, so that was redeeming, I hope!

    As for the combination of reading Nobel authors and Traveling The World In Books, this short list went from London to West Germany to a Pacific Island to (metaphoric) Columbia to Central Africa.


    2 comments:

    1. This was excellent to read, I haven't read as much as I should have being more interested in music.
      Enjoy your Sunday.
      Yvonne.

      ReplyDelete
    2. That's pretty good! After all this is what the challenge is all about -- opening ourselves up to new writers and books! I haven't mustered up the courage to try any of Grass's work; I remember thumbing through Tin Drum in the bookstore a few years ago and I was was just uh... no.

      Don't forget to link up! I'm working on my post right now :)

      Happy Sunday!

      ReplyDelete

    Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.