Monday, April 25, 2016

Neuropathy

Neuropathy: noun -  an abnormal and usually degenerative state of the nervous system or nerves; also:  a systemic condition that stems from a neuropathy (1)

While neuropathy can be a symptom, like burning pain in the feet, it can also be a larger cause of illness, as in my diagnosis of autonomic neuropathy.

But what does this mean?


Image result for funny image of pros and cons

Con: This means that my feet don’t sweat, and I’m either too hot or too cold most of the day. The evenings are often bad enough that if I don’t use a heating pad, my legs and feet ache from the cold.

Pro: I can walk in the creek before anyone else and stay in for much longer because I can’t quite feel my feet and lower legs.

Con: I have trouble with balance because I can’t quite feel my feet.

Pro: I don’t have to shave my legs as often because of poor circulation.

Con: Because of poor circulation, if I cut my leg, it takes months to heal.

Con: I have to urinate a lot more than the average person.

Pro: I know where ALL the bathrooms are located.

Con: I get pain that feels like it’s in the bone.

Pro: I get sweet massages from my husband because it helps the pain.

Con: My fingers fall asleep a lot.

Pro: I rarely feel it if I burn my fingers on hot food, and people like it when I touch them with my cool fingertips in the summer.

Pro: I have a medical reason to take my shoes off whenever I need to cool down.

Con: In the heat, I can’t walk far.

Pro: When it’s hot, I get in the creek or the river.

Con: My heart doesn’t pump properly.

Pro: Modern pharmaceuticals have reversed the worst of the damage.

Con: My blood pressure is too low.

Pro: I’ll be tired, but I’ll probably live forever.

Con: My heart rate is too high.

Pro: The medication that controls my heart rate (after insurance) costs less than $5.

Con: My eyes get dry and blurry without medicine.

Pro: I’m really, really good at using eye drops.

Con: I have to exercise or I get worse fast.

Pro: I got a discount on my gym membership since it’s medically necessary.

What are some of the pros and cons of your chronic illness?


Image result for funny image of tightrope walker






(1) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/neuropathy

2 comments:

  1. You can also get a FREE lifetime pass (good for a car full) to National Parks. For anyone with a permanent disability. It's called an Access Pass. Here's the link to apply.
    https://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I did not know this. We could really use that the next time the travel bug hits.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.