Saturday, April 2, 2016

B is for Bed

Those of you who have a form of Dysautonomia know why I chose this topic. We spend a LOT of time in bed. It can be hard to see that time as anything other than punishment.

Naps are for toddlers!
I’ll sleep when I’m dead!
But it’s such a sunny day outside!
But I have stuff to do!
I’m lonely!
I’m bored!


These are the cries of the bedbound.




This post is about making your bed a haven - a place of productivity and pleasure.



The room should be clean, neat, and lovely to inhabit. No one wants to be stuck staring at four white walls or dusty clutter. Yes, I know. You can’t fix it, but you can get someone to help you. Yes, I know some of you are truly alone. Hire a student. They will work for peanuts and you can give them a good reference. Win-win! Flowers or plants are a nice touch. A window is good if you have one, and a bird feeder makes it even better.


A laptop is crucial.

You need to be able to watch a movie, write an email, browse Etsy, or just watch Twitter scroll past. I don’t recommend Pinterest unless you can be patient with yourself. I don’t recommend Skype unless you have friends that don’t care if you nod off during conversations. I do recommend pinning tabs for when you have more energy later. I do recommend online support groups. I do recommend fan fiction and web comics.

Make a nest.

Water, meds, snacks or a meal, blood pressure cuff, phone, laptop cord, paper, pen, books, magazines, whatever your craft choice, light switch, etc. You might not have the energy to do a craft or write an email, but you should be able to do it if you want. Also, invest in a few heating pads. Our body thermostats tend to be wonky (see W), and it’s nice to have one handy to warm an icy foot or ease neuropathy.

Challenge yourself.

I like to read, so I do the yearly challenge on Goodreads. It’s a way for me to feel like I’m not wasting time when I’m stuck in bed. I also like Twitter. There are great communities of others with chronic illnesses who will chat with you and keep you from feeling lonely. My favorite group is #spooniechat. Take up a hobby like writing letters or sketching or doodling or knitting or crocheting or nail art or reading blogs!

Pamper yourself.


video

A movie or music help when the brain fog, pain, or fatigue are bad. Have a basket with lotion, lip balm, chocolate, and comfy socks. Use them and fall asleep knowing that you deserve nice things, too!

Remember that a bed can be anywhere. You can spend the day on the couch if your nest is done right.

I prefer our deck when the weather is nice.




6 comments:

  1. This is why I love Netflix and Amazon. I can fall asleep and not worry about missing anything because I can always re-watch it.

    Mary
    Twitter: @KnottyMarie
    Literary Gold
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some great advice for the bedbound. Surrounding yourself with sources for productivity and comfort is a good way to handle it. Thanks for visiting my blog :)
    Elizabeth @ Liz's Random Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is all great advice. It may suck being bedbound for large swaths of time, but that doesn't mean you can't be prepared to make the experience as enjoyable as possible!

    I like the pictures you used in this entry, especially laptop cat! Hmmm except the one I assume is of you and your husband's feet. Not much for feet! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very, very particular about my sleeping space. I sleep 8-10 hours a day (otherwise I don't function well), and it is the only part of my apartment that is always spotless and cozy, and I only get into after I showered... it's a whole thing.
    Good post! Also, thanks for stopping by :)

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    The Multicolored Diary
    MopDog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to get my grandmother a Nook or Kindle when she was confined to her chair. She loved to read, but her eyesight was bad so the heavy large print books were not an option.

    I love this list. It also helps us consider how to care for our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list of things for people to consider who are bed-bound. Good pics, too--love the dog enjoying the bath and the relaxing view from the porch (lanai as we call it here in Hawaii.). :-)

    Thanks for sharing!
    -Sati

    http://atozwriting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete