Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Afternoon

I finished reading a book called "1632" by Eric Flint. I read it on my Kindle each night before bed. It was a fun book with parts that propelled me into each new chapter. I liked it enough that it turned out to be a poor choice for sleepy reading, and I found myself staying up late to keep reading more than once. The characters were fun, although I felt there was a little too much convenient and unnecessary romance. The plot was interesting, if a bit obvious. I was surprised by the lack of real conflict between the Americans. Things just seemed to come a little too easily, but I'm willing to forgive that because it allowed space for the other stories involving the historical battles and characters. There are more books in the Ring Of Fire series, but I'm satisfied to leave the story as it stands.

Also, while I'm thinking about it...please head over to Goodreads and friend me there. I'd love to see what you are reading.

Dan was out of town for a few days, so I was my own caregiver more than normal, and chauffeur for the kids. That didn't leave much time for poetry writing, but I did have some time yesterday to sit outside and find today's poem waiting for me.

The Afternoon

Go to sleep
Whispers the creek

Stay awake
Streams the light

Get up and go
Pesters the fly

Stay true to yourself
Reminds the oak

You could write or you could read or
You could clean or you could scroll
Endlessly through the stream of other
People’s lives.

I think I’ll just sit here and
Remember why
The creek and the light and the
Fly and the oak
Will endure much longer
Than I.

© all rights reserved Julie Reeser



The Good Life by Robert Thegerstrom Lattja
public domain

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.