Sunday, September 27, 2015

Sumerian Liturgies and Psalms

As part of this month's challenge to write poetry every day and share it on this blog, I have been reading Sumerian Liturgies and Psalms on my Kindle at night as I fall asleep. I've been marking some of the phrases that catch at my brain. One of those phrases was "Lord of the seizing hand, Lord of the grave" as a description. I wanted to see what my subconscious would pull from it. I typed it out while listening to music and attempted to ignore my own thoughts, and just type what came to the fingertips. Here's that result:

Lord of the seizing hand
grip my soul
dig into my plans,
fingers fine and slim
lining the edges
of my joy and sorrow

Lord of the grave
the serious and learned
dirt never in the open
palms and nails,
the stigmata of growing
bleeding loves and losses

but dirt hidden
swept under and around
never spoken aloud
always whispered
in Latin.

© all rights reserved Julie Reeser


The Last Judgment - Hans Memling

No comments:

Post a Comment