Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Nameless

As I'm typing this, I have the choir of St. Matthew's Cathedral swelling in the background. The Pope is there, and although I am in no way Catholic, I do respect this Pope and his message. So, I am excited to watch and hope that his message resonates with others, and advances our dialogue as a global community. He makes me feel optimistic.

Thanks to everyone for continuing to come to my blog and read my poetry. The challenge is almost over. Today is day #24! I never thought it would go as well as it has, and your support has definitely helped with that. One thing I'm learning is that naming poems is incredibly difficult! This one remains nameless.

 Also, Happy Equinox!


Capricorn etched in the dust
Little old ladies chewing
Toast
Soft wrinkled fingers
Held just so
Age comes and takes
The back first
Or possibly the knees
By then you are resigned
To the creeping ivy
And the husks of bees
Piling up in the corners
Of your windows
You view the young
Exactly as you said
You wouldn’t
And you try new
Foods and run and
Drink more than
You should
And while you wake
And sleep and fuck
You look down and
See that it is as
You thought
You are only human
And it is enough.

© all rights reserved Julie Reeser

unable to find art credit

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie. I came over to check out your blog and enjoyed reading your poem very much! I loved your no nonsense approach to getting older as I am in that same predicament. I think you should call it: "Only Human."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming to visit, Barbara. Love the feedback, too!

    ReplyDelete