Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Flight

If you are interested in phenomenal poetry, I would recommend Louise Gluck to you. I am reading The Wild Iris, and only one other poet has touched me and made me so emotional reading their words, and that was Edna St. Vincent Millay. Even her poetry was hit and miss for me, but The Wild Iris is amazing from start to finish. It's written as a conversation with, and contemplation of, her garden and God, and that is a simplified and unsatisfactory explanation.
I've had a busy and exhausting week, but I refuse to let that get in the way of completing this challenge. I am past the midway point, and starting to think about what might come next.


Flight

Last night’s live music
scattered the birds and
when I woke you were gone.
Fragile sparrows, spying
chickadees, and crying
catbirds are missing, too.
Yellow warblers like living
leaves absent
from the yard. My heart
is clean. Only the
bees are still here
dancing to the sun’s song.


© all rights reserved Julie Reeser

--Janis Rozentals

No comments:

Post a Comment