Sunday, May 26, 2013

Flower Moon (also, Leaf or Milk Moon)

We had four days of rain. It made everything lovely green and growing.

I am trying to enjoy it while it lasts, as everything was dry and crispy last year.


The night of the full moon, we built a fire in the pit. Because of all the rain, it was a challenge to have more fire and less smoke, but we had fun with it. Megan roasted marshmallows and snuggled with me. Later, Dan and I snuggled under a blanket until it got too chilly. It is still dropping into the 40’s at night here.


After a short session of yoga in the sun today, I took a walk on our land and was drawn toward this beautiful spot.

Within, I found a fawn grave. It was a magical place, full of the signs of the stages of creation, present moment, and decay. All of the things I try and hold in my mind as I meditate and worship.


I collected some of the bones and said a soft and gentle prayer for the baby who died alone. I made a little grave marker to remind myself not to step on the remaining bones. It was also a good reminder that as we clear our land for our own use, that we keep some sacred spots for the wildlife.
Yesterday, one of the local ranches had its cattle drive.

I call it the Cow Parade. It is loud and funny. The cows bellow at each other, their hooves click and clack, and the cows bellow some more. The calves are getting so big.


This moon is also called Milk Moon for the increase in pasture for the mothers of the still nursing calves.

I am working on a shawl inspired by the passerine birds that fill, and subsequently empty, our feeders. We have chickadees, nut hatches, cat birds, pine siskins, and sparrows. They chirp and chatter all day while I knit. I am using a Chickadee-colored Zauberball, and it is fun to watch the striations emerge.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an amazing place, Jules! Miss you - Barb E.

    ReplyDelete