Tuesday, January 1, 2013

You Are Here.

I am Stone, a focused point. I am here.

This is my mantra for 2013. I am still having nightmares about the train trip. Let me be clear, seeing my friends was wonderful, but the traveling portion apparently scarred me a bit. The good news is that the dreams are starting to resolve, having less anxiety of lost luggage and missed trains, and more time in the dream being with friends.
That is the best part of a New Year, the feeling of a clean slate. God, I love that phrase. It makes me think of cool, soft chalkboards and a nice untouched piece of chalk. I can remember resting my cheek against that green board as I contemplated the smooth and squared tip of white. Typically, I would leave it blank because it was better that way.
The ice at the reservoir today was similar in texture and promise. There were spots where the snow had been brushed clean by the steps that had gone before us. This exposed underbelly was dark and so smooth that it seemed soft and gentle. With the sun shining, the lake moaned as if a great whale were hiding underneath. The sound of that whale is primal. It reminded me of the first time I heard a real lion roar. The little hairs on the back of the neck stand up and take notice.
There were swaths of lake covered in untouched snow. I am told that when the temperature warms during the day, it will melt the snow. That night, when that melted snow refreezes, the lake will become a shining-smooth, glossy miracle. I plan to get there early to see for myself.
Dan and I examined the craters caused by man.
We left our own prints for future explorers to find.
We had planned on heading home then, but Dan suggested running full tilt and sliding on our bellies like penguins on the patch cleared for skating. This plan did not work well, except for the riotous laughter and joy caused by the slipping, sliding, and comic movements that ensued.
So, we started the New Year together in laughter, doing something neither of us had done in our lives, and enjoying the hell out of it. Be where you are. Be focused. Have weight. Bring substance. Skip.

No comments:

Post a Comment