Monday, October 22, 2012

Sapindales

October is drifting past me. Tumbleweeds are blowing by on the roads. Leaves are fluttering in showers of gold. Our mornings are covered in a glittering frost. The air is tricky, sometimes smelling of snow, and other times smelling of spring. It is a time of transition and change.
I have spent the majority of this month in bed, other than when I had to drive the kids to their various activities. I haven't been doing well, but I took the bull by the horns, and went to see a general practitioner and a new neurologist. I am now on a new medication that makes me feel fantastic. Sleepy, a little drugged, but in a two glasses of wine way. I am sure that my body will adjust and retain the fantastic, but drop the tipsy. I hope. I took a shower today without feeling like I was going to die!
Our land offered up a new grove to me this month. It was the only day I had really been outside for more than a few minutes. It is a west grove with an old twisty tree and a cool, still pond. A male and female energy, together and at peace.

I have been knitting here and there. I finished a Fisherman's Rib Cowl, but it isn't blocked yet. I am finished one Cthuhlu Mitten. Here is my attempt to block it. The other side looks even better, but you'll have to wait for it to dry.

I went top-down to get a better rounded top, but that meant that the thumb was not great. Also, Dan requested a peek-a-boo thumb so that he can scroll on his phone. It is a little sloppy looking, but not bad for a first try. I will probably put on my big girl panties and do a cuff up one for the second mitten. I am proud of how far my colorwork technique has improved.
I am halfway through this month's shawl design. The yarn was reminiscent of Fall leaves, so I made the bottom edge of the shawl like the curling and shape of a leaf. This picture shows the top edge more.

I have so many ideas and projects. Winter is supposed to be a time of slowing, but for knitters, it is the opposite. The cozy warmth of wool sliding through our fingers and filling our laps while we sip tea or coffee is what keeps us sane through the cold days. The holidays are rapidly approaching and many of us try to give all handmade gifts. The balance of knitting for yourself versus knitting for gifts can be a challenge. On the other hand, the joy of finishing a project and knowing that there isn't another in the world just like it, is a thrill. I am grateful for the skill and time that has been granted to me to let my creative side flow through knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.