Saturday, June 11, 2011

Knitting with Betadine

As many of you know, I have been struggling the last few days with thunderclap headaches. It started at the lake. I was playing with the girls in the water, when out of the blue, I felt like Mike Tyson had slammed me in the back of the head with a baseball bat. I honestly expected to find bits of bone and brain on the beach towel. I managed to drive home without dying, miraculously. I got home and DH took very good care of me for the hour it took to dissipate while I writhed around on the bed like some exotic dancer having a bad trip.

I have no idea who this woman is, but she is doing a crappy job of showing the amount of pain this entails and I hope they didn't pay her for that acting. She looks like she is about to break out into telekinesis Firestarter or something. Also, she is much hairier than I am, but this is what Google says it looks like. I think it looks more like this:


I'd like to say that is the end of the story, but it isn't. I felt tired, but okay. I didn't do any knitting. I sat and basically watched life roll by on Twitter. (Fascinating stuff, I know.) DH came home and we were giggly together and then started to get more than giggly, if you know what I mean, when it happened again. Same sudden-I-am-dying-please-make-it-stop pain. It lasted about the same amount of time, and when it was over, I was exhausted. DH commented that he wanted me breathing heavily and rolling around in the bed, but not like that, please.

I went to the hospital, and they did a CT of my head. This showed nothing (bah dum bump), so they did a lumbar puncture. I was a brave girl, and probably deserved a gluten-free cookie, but since I almost threw up and passed out from my BP dropping into shock status due to not having my Midodrine in my system, they refrained from the goodies and gave me oxygen instead. Oh joy! I recovered, was told that I did not have a head bleed, and to come back if, horror of horrors, it happened again. Oh, and did I mention that the doc doing the lumbar puncture said I was thin and then proceeded to drip Betadine into my underwear. Is this how men flirt now? I don't get out much.

I am not taking my Midodrine at all now, in case it is a side effect. This means that my lying-down-doing-nothing SBP is 88-97. We won't discuss what it is when I stand up to do things like pee. I actually sit down when I pee, but you get the idea. Life has come to a grinding process of the laptop for a bit, followed by peeing, followed by napping, followed by laptop again, all while trapped in the upstairs bedroom. (Well, not the peeing part.) It is boring and awful, but I am hopeful it will end soon.

So, we were into Day Four of the Mysterious Head Bashing and I had not touched my latest knitting design project. I thought about it a lot. I would glance at it occasionally in between napping and lying flat, and try to figure out how to make it happen without DH yelling at me.

Since I am past the heel, I attempted to run my lifeline for the next stage of design. It took me half an hour, no joke, but it is done and I am still alive. I am working at a snail's pace, and I am getting thin-lipped, disapproving looks from DH. Needless to say, I will keep you posted on progress and try to find a fun picture or two for this post since I haven't been out with the camera. The hospital frowns on that.

Maybe this is more like how I looked?

6 comments:

  1. I'm your first comment! Your knitting will be there for you so don't stress over that. Betadine in your undies...Gah! It's a great post but scary stuff. Hope it clears up, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laurie! I feel pretty proud that I pulled off a post with Betadine in my underwear, lol. Hopefully, that won't be a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For an instant, I misread the blog name as "Penelope Knits" and wondered if it would be a blog of frogging. ;) Oh, and welcome to the blogging life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Silvernfire! It certainly could be, as I do a lot of that. Thanks for the welcome and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you heard of/thought of/tried craniosacral therapy? It's holistic and can do WONDERS for migraines. =D

    CONGRATS on starting this blog! Did you paint the header pic? So lovely! Keep that image of a head exploding on reserve -- as a blogger, you may find you need it pretty regularly ;)

    ~Pup

    ReplyDelete
  6. If they continue, I am sure I will try anything on the planet to get rid of them. Eating spiders, licking carpets...seriously...I would try it.
    Thanks for supporting me. The header is a painting I had commissioned for the business. I love it. I guess I should put some kind of watermark on it, huh?

    ReplyDelete